Sunday, December 15, 2013

Let us give Thanks

Okay, so this post is about Thanksgiving.  Yes, I am aware that Thanksgiving was a few weeks but I have been busy. Anyways this will be short, I just wanted to tell you a little bit about it.

So when I first got here, I was determined to have a Thanksgiving dinner, no matter what.  Little did I know that not having an oven or microwave would really put a damper on things.  As the weeks went on and the home sickness got a little worse, I decided that I really didn't want to have a Thanksgiving dinner, I wasn't with my family anyways.  Two weeks before Thanksgiving I told everyone that I wasn't going to do the dinner, and I would most likely lay in bed all day, I was perfectly okay with that.  One of my flatmates turned to me and said "We are going to make a Thanksgiving dinner, you can choose to come or not to come."  WELL THEN! The rest of the flat was super excited because it would be their first Thanksgiving.   The day comes and the kitchen was a mess from the previous night, my roommate was in Lapland, and one of my flatmates had class until six.  But that was not the funny part.  The same flatmate that basically took over the Thanksgiving dinner plans, had fallen ill due to circumstances WITHIN her control. I will not say anymore.   Anyways she is laying down trying to peel potatoes off of the side of the bed.  She looked so sick and pitiful, that I snatched the potatoes away and peeled them myself. We had to use someone else's oven, but one of their flatmates was using the oven at the time that we had arranged to use it.  Well that had me freaking out because I told my guest a specific time and I hate to make people wait.

After all that drama and nonsense, we had the turkey cooked and all the food on the table.  No, it was not the traditional, and I feel bad that they were not able to have an authentic dinner.  However, it was a great Thanksgiving dinner.  I made everyone go around and tell what they were thankful for.  I was surrounded by people who I have spent the last several months with.  Everyone helped out and did their part to make it a good holiday for not only me, but themselves as well.  In fact, all I really did was peel potatoes and make a salad. I know, I should be ashamed.  But enough about me, lets looks at some pictures.
          This is just a few of the ingredients that we bought to make Thanksgiving a success
 

 
 One of my flatmates made this turkey.  We call her the creative one because she is always making things that the rest of us don't have the skills for patience for
 
 Room 420 was the host of all of the guest.  These two girls did an awesome job of arranging their room to accommodate us. That was very generous of them...because I wouldn't have done it! (I mean come on, by the time we were done, there was turkey drippings all over the floor)

And this was the group minus a few enjoying Thanksgiving with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment