Thursday, September 19, 2013

Hostel

This is what I have been waiting to write about for the last few days.  This past weekend was my first time ever staying at a hostel.  I knew that when I got here, if I went traveling, I would not be staying in hotels.  When we got done eating Saturday night, it was around 6 and we had to go check into our hostel. The directions said that it was on sauna street.  When we finally made it there, we couldn't find the hostel.   We walked up and down the street and was about to walk to a different street when this man and woman came riding up on bicycles and asked us was we looking for the hostel. We answered yes and he proceeded to point at a building and say that he was also staying there.  Let me just tell you that this man was not dressed in a three piece suit and carrying a briefcase, so I automatically went into high alert.



We began to climb the spiral staircase that  lead us to a bar.  A rather shaggy looking bar to say the least.  The guy that was on the bike told us that he would get the owner and he would be right back.  By that time, my eyes were as big as saucers and my feet were halfway out the door.  For some reason, my flatmates thought it was hilarious that I was freaking out.  The owner came down and took our information, in which I was skeptical to give up.



To get to our room, we had to climb up a few stairs and pass through what was literally a hole in the wall.  We finally made it to the room, and I think I was the first to lock my stuff in the lockers that were provided.  Was I being overly dramatic? Probably so.  In spite of, my flatmates gave me some wiggle room. For one I am an American (poor excuse) and secondly it was my first time ever staying in a hostel.

Hostels are cheap and therefore, the condition of a hostel is not palace quality. Once I got it through my head that I was getting exactly what I was paying for, It really wasn't that that of a place.  We went out the night to explore and when we came back, the bar that we were staying above was in full swing.  There was a live band and people standing outside of the door.  It was a little noisy but I was so tired from all the activity, that I slept like a baby.

Just a few more pictures





 

 
The owner was very nice, and I enjoyed my stay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment