Sunday, September 8, 2013

The way of life

I have been here almost two weeks now so I apologize if I sounds like a know it all.  I know nothing, but I did want to point out a few things that I noticed since living here.
 We don't tip here.  I'm sure a lot of people would be relieved to hear that but I am so used to tipping that I feel like a horrible person if I don't. This is at a café that we visit often and they put our tickets in this cute little box.  I get excited every time I see it.
If I am not mistaken, Estonia has the second highest rate of HIV/AIDS in Europe (Russia being number one)   This machine is located on the ground floor of our dorm.  Even if someone needed it, I couldn't imagine them purchasing one in the presence of all of their peers.  I have no use for this machine so I don't know how many it gives you but there is a steep cost of three euros... good luck.

 They have milk in a bag.  I couldn't tell you why that is so don't ask.  They do sell milk in the carton but I was so amused by the bag that I bought it instead.  One thing about their milk is that it only last around three or four days so you have to make use of it quickly.  I ended up waiting too late and had to discard it.
 We have to recycle.   In the dorms we have a fee if we do not separate our trash by household waste, paper and plastic.  When you buy drinks in a can, glass bottle or plastic bottle, they charge you a little deposit (three or four cents).  Then when you are done with the bottle, you can return it to the market and they will give you that deposit back.  It's genius if you think about it.

Estonians are in no rush.  If you are in a hurry, you might want to stop in the market and get you a premade sandwich because there is no telling how long you will wait at a "fast food" restaurant.  If you are an impatient person, you may not want to visit here.  The picture above is not from a fast food restaurant but it did take a while for us to receive our food. It was worth the wait though.

There is a lot of outdoor seating for restaurants.  They have more tables outside than they do inside.  I found that off because it gets so cold here in Estonia.  I am anxious to see how the seating arrangement is going to be handled when it is too cold to sit outside and eat and too dangerous for the waiters/waitresses to deliver the food outside.  For right now, the restaurant has heaters under the umbrellas and blankets they let you use.  Enjoy your meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment